Thought I would Share a list of Fifty not so main stream movies that I have rated excellent in my Netflix account. In Alphabetical order, with year released. most of these left me feeling emotional dumbfounded or blown away, and a few were really funny. Some have subtitles a few are difficult to follow or swallow, but poignant all the same. Those in Bold are a little more Difficult to watch and require more artistic interpretation than the others.
- A Boy and His Dog 1975 The year is 2024, Scavenging for Food and sex with his telepathic dog Don Johnson plays Vic a young man in post apocalyptic world with his best friend Blood. Vic is lured below ground to impregnate a underground community of survivors who have lost their virility.
Blood: Now let's run through the modern Presidents.
Vic: What good's all this history crap gonna do me?
Blood: Just do the Presidents.
Vic: Oh, God!-Eisenhower, Truman...
Blood: Truman, Eisenhower
Vic: Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Kennedy, Kennedy, Kennedy...
- A Clockwork Orange 1971 Charismatic delinquent Alex DeLarge is jailed and volunteers for an experimental aversion therapy developed by the government in an effort to solve society's crime problem
Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man.
- Amelie 2001 Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain Amelie, an innocent and naive girl in Paris, with her own sense of justice, decides to help those around her and along the way, discovers love
- A Very Long Engagement 2004 Un long dimanche de fiançailles The story of a young woman's relentless search for her fiancé, who has disappeared from the trenches of the Somme during World War One.
- Basil 1998 A lonely young aristocrat in turn-of the century England stuggles to meet the approval of his over-bearing, class-conscious father while trying to please the selfish woman he loves.
- Before Night Falls 2000 Cuban poet and novelist, Reinaldo Arenas (1943-1990), from his childhood in Oriente province to his death in New York City. He joins Castro's rebels. By 1964, he is in Havana. He meets the wealthy Pepe, an early lover; a love-hate relationship lasts for years. Openly gay behavior is a way to spite the government. His writing and homosexuality get him into trouble: he spends two years in prison, writing letters for other inmates and smuggling out a novel in a peculiar way by an early appearance of Johny Depp.
- Being There 1979 Chance, a simple gardener, has never left the estate until his employer dies. His simple TV-informed utterances are mistaken for profundity.
- Big Fish 2003 A son tries to learn more about his dying father by reliving stories and myths he told about his life.
- Billy Elliot 2000 A talented young boy becomes torn between his unexpected love of dance and the disintegration of his family
- Bully 2001 Based on a true story. Naive teenagers plot to murder one of their own, who has been too much of a bully to them.
- Chocolat 2000
- Cinema Paradiso 1988
- Crazy in Alabama 1999
- Das Experiment 2001
- Dead Snow 2009
- Greenfingers 2000
- Gummo1997 Xenia, Ohio, is a small poor and boring city that never fully recovered after a tornado in the 1970s killed all of the fathers.The film, chronicles the anti-social adventures of two boys . Including, sniffing glue, killing cats for reward, having sex, riding dirt bikes, listening to black metal, and visiting quirky, bizarre, and scary people. These include a man who pimps his mentally ill wife to our anti-heroes, three sisters who play with their cat and practice becoming strippers, a black midget fending off the sexual advances of a troubled man, a 12-year-old transvestite that cares for his bedridden grandmother and is also a cat killer, Solomon's mother who seems to be the only glimpse of sanity, two foul-mouthed six-year olds, and most importantly, a nymph like skateboarder who walks around town wearing pink rabbit ears. Known to fans as Bunny Boy.
- Harold and Maude 1971
- I Am David 2004
- Joe the King 1999
- Leaves of Grass 2010
- Life Is Beautiful 1997
- Lord of the Flies 1963
- Moon 2009
- My Father the Genius 2002
- My Life as a Dog 1985
- Otis 2008
- Our Lady of the Assassins 2000
- Pan's Labyrinth 2006
- Party Monster: The Shockumentary 1998
- Porn Theatre 2002
- Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale 2010
- Requiem for a Dream 2000
- Sarah's Key 2010
- Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus 2003
- Sybil 1976
- The Believer 2001
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas 2008
- The Emperor's Club 2002
- The Exorcism of Emily Rose 2005
- The Italian 2007 Director:Andrei Kravchuk
- The Lost Son 1999
- The Reaping 2007
- The Wild and Wonderful Whites 2009
- V for Vendetta 2005
- Volver 2006
- What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? 1962
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? 1966
- Winter's Bone 2010
- Come and See Idi i smotri Words can not describe the power this movie has on the human soul. It documents World War II thru the eyes of a young Russian boy in Byelorussia.This movie is a "must" for intelligent people. It's a rare gem, although very difficult to watch. Not many people outside Russia know what was going on in Byelorussia (now Belarus) during WWII. The Resistance (Partisans) was very strong, and because Germans were afraid to go into the woods to fight, they were killing everybody in the nearby villages.